Establishing a recognition strategy will help you determine which direction your employee engagement program will follow. However, you also need to establish criteria to measure the effectiveness of your program so that you can track your progress along the way.
Measuring the effectiveness of your recognition program will help you determine what is working and what is not. It will also help you correlate the results with the core objectives in your employee engagement strategy.
Measuring the recognition program also offers these distinct advantages:
- Measuring the program helps justify the value of the recognition program to your boss and CEO.
- Measuring helps determine the effectiveness of your recognition spending.
- Measuring each activity helps identify which activities are worth the financial investment.
These effective measurements will help you decide where to invest time and energy by using performance-based ROI information.
According to Recognition Professionals International (RPI), measuring activity alone is not enough to separate activities that positively impact your business performance.
Consider these additional tips when measuring your recognition performance:
- Measure your program with a high level of consistency and integrity.
- Learn from your metrics to continually make improvements and stop activities that aren’t performing well.
- Communicate your results by presenting the metrics as they are, not as you wish they would be.